Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Allow Me to Introduce Myself

Good day to the world of bloggers!

This is the introduction to my first ever blog, #RiseTalk. Some would consider this narcissistic, naming a blog and creating a hashtag to play off of my last name, Risedorph, but to me it represents all of my "real talk" moments I have had with my family, friends, students, and, yes, even myself.

Before we get into any more about #RiseTalk, allow me to introduce myself properly. My name is AJ Risedorph (@TeachRisedorph). I am a sports and history enthusiast. I was raised to root for my Michigan Wolverines and Detroit Tigers, Lions, Pistons, and Red Wings. I graduated from IPFW in 2011, so regardless of my love for the Maize and Blue, I am truly a Mastodon at heart.

I am married to a beautiful young lass named Jenna, whom I met through a mutual friend in college. We were blessed to have a daughter 10 1/2 months ago. Her name is Quinlynn Rae. You better believe that much of my blogging will come from my conversations and experiences with those two wonderful people!

I am currently a high school social studies teacher in the small town of Nappanee, IN. I coach basketball and baseball, and I am also a co-sponsor for the school's student council. Without a doubt, there have been a number of #RiseTalk moments in my classes that has been the inspiration for this current undertaking. There is rarely a day that goes by where I do not catch myself thinking about how lucky I am to be apart of a place so special. (Seriously, my school is awesome!)

The concept of #RiseTalk began not long after the phenomena "real talk" took over as the new slang for "you better believe what I'm saying, because I am seriously serious." I first saw it on Twitter and then eventually heard it in conversation among young adolescents. I was lecturing a 7th grade class one day about aiming to be a better person each day. After my winded discussion with the class, one student piped up and said "#RiseTalk." Since then, I have ran with it and haven't looked back.

I cannot gaurantee that everything on here will be inspirational. Some of it may be similar to a "You Know What Really Grinds My Gears" segment from Family Guy. Either way, this blog is about my the experiences. I hope to inspire and entertain you all.

Thanks for reading and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment