Monday, April 14, 2014

Family Matters

With Spring Break 2014 winding down to its final hour, I thought I should take this time to write about this past week. (Apologies for the length of the post!)

One would think that my wife and I, both teachers with the same spring break, would want to go off somewhere and spend spring break together in Florida, South Carolina, or even in Texas to see an old friend. Nope. Not us. We look forward to spring break to finally spend some days alone together and going to see my family in Kendallville.

This is roughly how my spring break went:

Saturday - 

1. To Kendallville for breakfast at MHOP (Maria's House of Pancakes) with my dad and 3 brothers. Also with us was my brother's good friend Brant.
2.  We went to Fort Wayne to meet up with my Uncle Chris and Cousin Nic for lunch at BW's.
3.  We all went to Lazer X! I was the dominant one in the group. Finished 1st for the team (3rd overall) in game 1. I am proud to say that my years of playing COD actually paid off. 
4.  Fort Wayne TinCaps baseball game! It was a good time. Will probably need surgery again after seeing how hard I throw... let me tell you... it wasn't pretty. 
5.  Ended the night back at my parents place to get a good night's rest for Sunday.

Sunday - 

1. Big Breakfast made by Mama Rise!!! No one can rival her biscuits and gravy!

2. Road Trip to Detroit for a Detroit Tigers game.

                                    @ the Tigers Game

Granted I did not get to spend much time with Jenna and Quinn that weekend, but it was so nice to be able to have a weekend with my dad and brothers. We don't get many opportunities like that very often anymore. There are so many different work schedules and responsibilities that keep us all tied up. So whenever I do get the chance to go back and just goof off with my brothers, I cherish it. (I will never forget the one time I was able to get back for a birthday. We shut the power off in the house to have a COD Nerf War! Great times.)

Monday-Wednesday - 

These were great days! With the exception of Jenna taking Quinn to see a friend, we had all three days to ourselves! We did nothing! It was awesome. Quinn and I had some great daddy/daughter time. We played some basketball, watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and of course the Lorax.


                    Quinn walking Minnie Mouse 

Thursday - 

Back to Kendallville. Jenna, Quinn, and I went up to see Mama Rise and Gpa/Gma Rise. It had been forever since my mom was able to see Quinn. Coaching basketball and going right into baseball leaves very little time to see the family. It was a nice trip though. My brother Eric was able to join us for lunch and hangout at the house. It was great going to my grandparents’ house too. We hadn't seen them since my gramps left the nursing home where we live. (It was a sad blessing to have grandpa in Milford to rehab after surgery. I got see him often but it was tough when it was due to a serious procedure.)


Picture of Quinn with Grandpa from a few months back

Friday - 

MY BIRTHDAY!!! Jenna had a great day planned out! She had 27 different gifts for me to open at different times throughout the day. It was a pretty neat idea. I thought that she found this idea on Pinterest but apparently it was all her. Oh Jenna... How awesome you are! I received everything from Double Stuff Oreos to golf polos. I even received a TMNT bowling set and a kid’s basketball hoop. Crazy to think a 27th year old man would find pleasure in those gifts, but they were pretty awesome! Quinn thought so too.


                 My new basketball hoop!

Saturday - 

Another day spent with family ;)
That morning we went to breakfast with my in-laws and came back to our house to open up a birthday present from them. I received an Apple TV! So excited! I am going to see if I can get it hooked up in my classroom! 
After lunch, Jenna had to be in Kendallville for a wedding shower. So I dropped her and Quinn off, picked up my brother Ryan, and headed to Fort Wayne to watch an IPFW baseball game. Now Ryan wasn't the only family I was able to spend time with at the game. I was able to see my old IPFW baseball family. My friends Tyler, Matt, and Jason were all at the game. It was great seeing them since it had been a while! 

Sunday (Today) -

Today was a special day... I was able to see my student council family. I have just joined to be a chair in the high school division of the IASC. Today, the elected high schoolers on the executive council met in Indianapolis to discuss plans for the next year. I saw so many familiar faces from the leadership camp (SLI) that I do every summer. This was such a great feeling. Many of the students were in my councils at the camps. It definitely helped validate what I do every summer. Feels good to see the difference that I am making.

                                                    My 2013 SLI Family

After my trip to Indy, I headed back to a family birthday dinner for a number of us who shared a birthday this past week. It was just the perfect way to end a week full of family time. 



Family... whether it is by blood, marriage, or through bonds of friendship, is by far the most important thing in the world. Barbara Bush tells us, "Cherish your human connections - your relationships with friends and family." That is what Jenna and I did this week. We wanted to be sure that we took time to cherish all of our connections. Fortunately for myself, I was able to visit, text, or call a lot of my loved ones this past week. Spring break for was not about going to a vacation spot and getting a nice tan. Spring break for me was about putting value back into the friendships I have had over the years. 

We all, at some time or another, have been guilty of getting too consumed by what we are doing "now" that we forget about those who have helped us. Even if we do acknowledge those who have helped us in the past, I honestly believe that we can do more. We should want to tell all of our love ones, friends and family, that we want them to be a part of our future.


#RiseTalk


No comments:

Post a Comment