Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Summer Institute for Digital Learning Day 1 w/ Richard Byrne

It may prove to be quite difficult to sum up everything I was introduced to (or reintroduced to). I am going to try my best to post the collages, videos, and notes that I took today. So here it goes!

I would say that just over 70 teachers were present for today's session on digital learning. We were introduced to Richard Byrne; who, in turn, introduced many wonderful tools that we could use in our classrooms. http://richardbyrnepresents.com/wa-nee-community-schools/ 

We were introduce to:
1. Strategies for Teaching Web Research
2. Informal Assessment Tools
3. Digital Storytelling
4. Video Creation
5. Building Blogs and Websites

Along the way, we followed the same pattern of learning... 
(This was created by me in Paper by FiftyThree)

Strategies for Teaching Web Research
We were told to go beyond Google. I saw the benefit of searching for class material by modifying the search filter. This is something that I can honestly say that I have never done. We were also shown how to use Twitter, Pinterest, and other social media outlets for information.

We were then tasked to find a picture in our content area and pose a question with it within Richard's Padlet section on his website. I will admit that I wasn't necessarily as engaged with the task as much as I was with Padlet itself.

Padlet allowed many of us to manipulate a "board" with pictures and text all at the same time. I can see many benefits to this tool. This leads us into our next section...

Informal Assessment Tools

I feel that all of these are useful when informally assessing students. Plickers and Get Kahoot are very similar, but Plickers uses QR Code Cards rather than student controlled devices. Depending on the setting of your classroom (whether or not you have tech for students within your room), either one is extremely beneficial. 

Digital Storytelling
This section of the day really excited me. I have always wanted to use Glogster in my classroom, but it is so ridiculously expensive. I used to have an active account long ago, but I have not paid for the subscription to attach my students to it. So out goes Glogster, in comes PicCllage! I or even my students can accomplish the same things but for FREE!

Our task was to create a story of sorts showing good learning... I don't know if I actually completed the assignment since my PicCollage wasn't necessarily a story. I had seen PicCollage before but I have to admit that I was naive and thought it was just another addition to making fancy picture frames for Instagram... I was wrong.

(I have added the link just in case you can't watch the video that is within it.)
http://pic-collage.com/_3xtq5wt4

I saw some great examples from other teachers using Canva too.
(Created by @MrsWolfeNes using Canva)

Some other useful tools were StoryBoardThat and Make Beliefs Comix.

Video Creation
This is when some of us started to have some real fun... maybe a little too much!

I have made some videos already with PowToon, iMovie, ChatterPix, DubSmash, Tellagami, etc. Many of these are on my Twitter page or on youtube. I will be sure to come back and post examples later!

Many were tasked to complete a video to introduce a lesson or themselves... I did this on PowToon.

This video was for the Miracle Minute - One Dime at a Time fundraiser we did at NorthWood and surrounding schools in the Elkhart. I completed this for student council.

These two movies or trailers I made on iMovie.
NWHS Homecoming ( http://youtu.be/G0KFOqOVADw ) 
IASC State Convention ( http://youtu.be/SZ9C7SJByro )

Tellagami just for fun... https://tellagami.com/gami/CPHNFE/

The dubsmash videos I will just keep to myself... too good to share with everyone haha

Blogging and Website
This is my blog and this is my website is http://teachrisedorph.wix.com/nwhs

Near the end of the session, Richard did talk about Remind. If anyone would like more info on that (or any PD on anything else), please let me know! I was just recently accepted as a Remind Connected Educator.

I am definitely looking forward to tomorrows session and I will be sure to update this post with fun and exciting videos shortly!





No comments:

Post a Comment