Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A special thank you to SLI

This past week I worked at a leadership camp in North Manchester, Indiana. The Student Leadership Institute, or better known as SLI, is a camp that is for high school students to explore curriculum around leadership, community, and self-exploration. The camp is ran and organized heavily by the contributions of individuals who represent the Indiana Association of Student Councils. Dan Graney of Warsaw, Dick and Linsday Bentz (Father-Daughter combo) of Kendallville, Brittany and Nicole Mazzola from Kendallville and Avilla. Thanks to their efforts and contributions, I got to play a small role in the lives of 72 amazing students from around the state of Indiana this past week.

As a high school student going into my Junior summer, I was asked to attend SLI by Dick Bentz, who was my student council advisor at East Noble. I only accepted because I had broke my foot and ankle on the first day of summer break and I had "nothing better to do". That would turn out to be a life changing blessing. I came back a different person and a different kind of leader. Ever since my experience at SLI in 2004, I have been wanting to pay SLI and the IASC back. So, in 2007, I began to work as a Junior Counselor (JC) at SLI, and in 2011, I was given the opportunity to become a Senior Counselor (SC).

I have been able to meet and get to know some of the most incredible people from around the state. It has been an absolute honor and blessing to help lead this camp with the various JCs and SCs. I wish I could just go through and name them all! All of them have made a significant impact on my life. Adam Gaff and Katie Hurckes were instrumental in preparing me to become an SC and also a better classroom teacher.

The thing about SLI is that it is indescribely magical. These campers come and are placed in groups of 12-15. They may only know 1 other person in their Council? That is was these groups have been called over the years. However, even through the first day... at the end of the first night... These campers never refer to their group as their council... They call it their family.  Its magical.

The hardest thing anyone who comes the camp can ever do is try to explain what the camp did and how it has changed them. It is nearly impossible to get someone to see the magic for themselves if they have never been to SLI. The only thing I can suggest to them whether they are a student or an adult is to come experience for yourself. Come be a camper! Come be a counselor! Come as a volunteer! Your world will never be the same. Your world will only get larger with the connections, opporunities, and love you were given during your brief stay at SLI. 

I am truly blessed and thankful for my experiences with the IASC and SLI. The changes I see in the 12-15 students that I get to work with in a given camp year are worth every ounce energy, missed hours of sleep, and time away from reality. I say reality becuase SLI and its magic almost seem to good to be true. I can only hope I make a difference in my students' lives in the classroom, but at SLI, I KNOW I make a significant difference. 

Thank you Directors, Counselors, Volunteers and most importantly the campers who have helped make SLI what it was, what it is, and what it will continue to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment